Tuesday 22 January 2013

One to One Lecturer Feedback (22/1/2013)

During this session I spoke with my lecturer in order to find out how I was doing in this module.
Below are bullet points of the notes and advice he gave me:
  • Measuring future sketches may help me get the correct proportions for a person e.g. take the size of their head and measure their body with 7 heads.   
  • Bleed shading together so as to make my cartoon like lines into realistic lines.
  • Use lost and found lines as your eyes fill out the lines.
  • Use Z-Brush in order to create my ideas before drawings them. That way I can get the right perspective and shape as I originally tried to do with my space ship.
  • Don't bother doing poses for my credit card concepts as they don't really count. However, drawing different poses later on to get an idea of what pose to put the character in is a good thing. 
  • Try and experiment with more realistic drawings and try and include shading in future works. Therefore expanding my style and creating more detailed works of art. 
  • Try and do hair, clothes and accessories before the credit card concepts as you can then mix and match your ideas. Similar to how I did the space pilot and my recent character with her hair under her hat.
  • If I find the time then I should go back and add darker lines to my original environment piece I drew as my lecturer thought the bottom of it was separate to the rest of it, almost like a comic book. Therefore adding the dark lines would give it the correct perspective as the closer something is the more clearer it should be.  
At the moment my lecturer says that I am looking at a 65 grade for my research which is a high mark and a 55 grade for my drawing which is a middle mark. This is because, although my chosen cartoon art style is very good, it does however limit me in a way as the characters seem too flat. Therefore, to gain a higher mark I will need to bring them out a bit more. I will also need to make sure that my final character piece for my current project does look female as my other character sketches looked male by accident. Therefore he showed me an art book that had good examples of how to draw women and said that in drawings they tend to have rounded shoulders, long legs and necks, short arms and wide hips. With this in mind I also asked the advice of my friend Bonnie who is very good at drawing women. She couldn't really explain the process, but she did do a rough sketch in my book on how she draws a clothed female character.

After the above discussion, I started new credit card concepts for my character rather than the skeletal poses I had done before.
You can see these sketches below:


My lecturer also recommended that I look at work by Chris Foss and Daniel Lieske in relation to my drawings to which I did.

Chris Foss does fantastic space crafts that not only look original but also have elements of building designs on them due to their bulkiness and great use of pattern and colour palette. Looking at his work could help me get a better understanding of how to shape my vehicles and buildings rather than the 'Minecraft' look they have at the moment. Maybe one day my work will look something like the example below.

Whereas Daniel Lieske has done some amazing drawings of characters and environments that look cartoon like but well detailed. This is something that I could do with learning in order to turn out more detailed versions of my own style and perhaps something similar to below.

On week 26.

Referencing:

  • Foss, C (1981) Nathan [Online image]. Available at: http://cwarden.org/warden/personalPage/graphics/chrisFoss.jpg (Accessed: 22/1/2013).  

No comments:

Post a Comment