Saturday 12 January 2013

Genre Artwork 1 (8/1/2013)

For my next art project I have been given the task of creating artwork for a genre of my choice that I will in a few weeks time present through a power point presentation to my peers and lecturer. Therefore I spent this session researching my ideas for an action adventure genre that I plan to give a twist to so as to make it original. I will post the idea and the back-story for my next post as I have an idea already, but I want to give myself more time to determine all of its elements first.

With an idea in my head already of what my project will look like I hope to post my artwork as I progress throughout this project on a frequent basis and look forward to the end results and the feedback I get from it. Hopefully, I will be able to transfer the ideas from my head to my sketches as that can be a difficult task for anyone.

I also did an hour of sketching objects that you can see below. One was done with pencil and I felt at home using this familiar method, whereas using the charcoal was challenging as I kept smudging it by accident. However, overall it was a fun sort of challenge as it allowed me to mess around with the unknown.



After this session I went away and started to draw possible poses that my character might adopt. I tried a variety of poses as I wanted to capture as many aspects of her personality as I could. Therefore, I did stances that had her waving and relaxing to show her casual nature, doing handstands to demonstrate her carefree athletic side and finally fighting poses to show that she can take care of herself.



I then went on to designing a hammer for her that looked almost alive in nature or out of place as she would receive this weapon in the Monster World. This explains why number 2, 4 and 11 look monster like, although saying this I did try a variety of designs as I had flat surfaces, round surfaces and even spiked surfaces. When designing the hammers I also tried to come up with how they would change combat e.g. number 9 is a silly design that would imprint a smiley face on the enemy, 11 could perhaps stick an enemy to it, 1 could maybe be used to unhinge things, 2 could perhaps mind control due to its Cthulhu design and so on.     
I wanted her to use a hammer as I nearly always see the main protagonist in video games using a sword and thus the market is full of sword users, therefore I decided to be different.



Finally I drew a number of different environments as I can not decide which one to go with.

The first two are based in the high streets of the Monster World that the character enters through her TV. Its design was based on all the random stuff you find in your wardrobe as children are told monsters live in them. I also wanted the streets and buildings to be a mix of cultures as they would accommodate monsters from all over the world. Therefore I made the buildings a mix of western and eastern design and even included Chinese lanterns strung across wires in order to light the streets as they would be underground. And, even though I didn't draw them into the scene I can imagine the shops to be selling very random stuff such as cactus plants, garden gnomes and snow globes.  

Then I drew two similar concepts for one of the Monster Arenas that the player would fight in. I based these arenas on monster truck arenas purely because the word monster was in the title and I thought the open stadium nature would be a cool design as they are so big and the lights and sounds that come from them would be a good contrast against its dark backgrounds. I also included hills, spike traps and flares so as to show what the player could use to their advantage if need be. 

Finally I drew the character's apartment set in the real world. I wanted it to be a compact but bright environment so as to show a contrast between the human world and the monster world. I also wanted it decorated to mirror the character's taste for games and even included empty cans and other mess on the floor in order to convince players that it is lived in and not just on display. The first design I went with was calm and secure, whereas in the second I choose to include the limbs of monsters coming out of the screen and a telephone dangling on its wire in order to tell the viewer a story. Have these limbs abducted someone? Has the occupant just run out of the room? It is up to the viewer to decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment