Tuesday 26 February 2013

Graphite and Ipad Drawings (26/2/2013)

Graphite Hand:

At the start of this session we all drew a box that we then shaded completely in Graphite Stick.

We then drew on transparent picture frames with one hand under the frame in order to trace that hand. We then put detail on the trace before using the picture frame as a reference to draw in the box. 

Once we had drawn our hands we added shading or rubbed out areas in order to show the contrast between light and dark and to make the drawing look three dimensional.

From doing the above I found out that I perhaps needed to draw more lightly as at the moment I draw very heavy/dark 'cartoon' lines which my lecturer did warn us about, as the task required different stick pressures. However, as cartoon and anime drawings are my style of art I struggled to break out of this habit and as a result most of my lines are darker than they should be. Therefore in the future I hope to break out of this habit in order to achieve more realistic drawings. 

I also recognise that I was unsure of what details to include in the picture or how to draw them. Therefore I feel that I rushed my piece at times and therefore hope to slow down in my next task.

Overall, I believe this task was not only to help us get better at drawing realistically, but also get us to use other methods in order to accomplish sketches and to encourage us to think about the finer details you can put into your work.



Ipad quick sketches:

Being reminded that we should also use other methods in order to create art I decided to use an Ipad in order to do some rough sketches. I had fun doing so, however I was only able to use one of the thicker pens and therefore this made it harder to draw accurate lines and fill small areas.

My first sketch was just a very quick and silly sketch of a Megaman type character. I could imagine seeing this hero in perhaps a children's book due the bright and explosive colours I used (which looking over it again reminds me of a 'Maisy the Mouse' book).  

I then went onto trying to draw the main hero from Persona 4 from memory (which turned out as well as you would expect) using layers and different coloured opacities in order to get the auras around the card and the character right. I used white lines in order to show the creases and layers of his jacket, but I don't think this is clear enough. He is also too cartoony and not nearly anime enough, I know, however trying to draw that style on an Ipad is very difficult and therefore I went with a more simplistic style.   

Lecturer's Painting: 

On a side note, the lecturer also showed us his painting of houses on a street. The colours he used helped to make the buildings look welcoming and the sky warm. Most importantly he was able to give it depth and make it look three dimensional. Therefore I went back to look over it again during my break and hope to be able to recreate such a atmosphere for my own current environment project.

Referencing: 

No comments:

Post a Comment