Thursday 26 September 2013

Practising Life Drawing (23/9/2013)

Having received an email detailing that I will be taking part in life drawing when I return to university, I decided to practice. Therefore, I searched for a suitable model online and drew them in order to gain some confidence in drawing the naked human form. I also wanted to practice shading as, I still feel this to be my weakest area.

As you can see below my image is reasonably close to the original pose, considering I decided to draw it free hand i.e. without using the skeleton technique, as I usually do.
I used a number of techniques during this piece including shading which is evident, missing lines to show her bone and muscle and finally, erasing areas in her hair to give it a parting. 


Having shown my work to a friend and discussed it with them, I realised that I had unintentionally drawn her heavier whilst trying to make her look more realistic as oppose to my usual cartoon style. But, by also trying to get her entire self in the frame and her curves correct, I had also made her right arm far thicker than it should have been.
However, I feel this works for the better as, not only does this show off my individual style, but my drawing also shares similarities to the works of Botticelii and Gauguin as they drew their women more voluptuous and curvier as you can see below. 



Looking at the pose I chose as well as the works above, I now realise that I need to focus on not only perspective, but also the positioning of the human body and understand how the different positions off arms and legs can affect the curves, size and position of, for example the hips and breasts. 

Harvard Referencing:
  • http://www.meetup.com/Holborn-Life-Drawing/events/49504212/
  • http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/botticelli/
  • http://daily-norm.com/2012/11/29/norms-do-gauguin/

No comments:

Post a Comment